Monday, January 16, 2012

A white demon love song - Midnight Sun




"That's Edward. He's gorgeous, of course, but don't waste your time. 
He doesn't date. Apparently none of the girls here are good-looking enough for him.
She sniffed. I turned my head away to hide my smile.

I was a predator. 
She was my prey. 
There was nothing else in the whole world but that truth.

When she processed the expression on my face, 
blood flooded her cheeks again, 
turning her skin the most delicious color I'd ever seen. 
The scent was a thick haze in my brain. 
I could barely think through it. 
My thoughts raged, resisting control, incoherent.

The scent punished me, closing my throat with dry aching...

I took a deep breath, 
and the scent was a fire that raced through my dry veins, 
burning out from my chest to consume every better impulse that I was capable of.

For one second, the heat of her skin burned into mine. 
It was like an electric pulse - surely much hotter than a mere ninety-eight point six degrees. 
The heat shot through my hand and up my arm.


Already, 
I was anxious for another chance to talk to her. 
I wanted to know more about her mother,
her life before she came here, 
her relationship with her father. 
All the meaningless details that would flesh out her character further. 
But every second I spent with her was a mistake, 
a risk she shouldn't have to take.

It was just a year or two, 
and then the girl would disappear. 
She would go on with her life - she would have a life to go on with. 
She'd go to college somewhere, 
get older, 
start a career, 
perhaps marry someone. 
I could picture that - I could see the girl dressed all in white and walking at a measured pace, 
her arm through her father's.

I was a vampire 
and she had the sweetest blood 
I'd smelled in eighty year.
I hadn't imagined such a scent could exist. 
If I'd know it did, 
I would have gone searching for it long ago. 
I would have combed the planet for her. 
I could imagine the taste...


A white demon love song - The Killers



Booo









Click to join my contest!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lofty bye, sweet chum :)

Anonymous said...

Lofty bye, considerate alternative other :)

Anonymous said...

Obedient bye, considerate soul mate :)