Monday, July 4, 2011

RAMOS is NOT may father's name

This is kinda funny title. But it's a fact! Actually, I've been facing this problem since my 1st day at school and I thought this problem only happened on me but when I red my sister's blog this morning regarding this phenomena, I was so surprise and think to re-blog this for everyone's information.

Me and my dad - yeah, he is handsome.
My name is Affinie A. Ramos. Most people (whom newly met me) will think that Ramos is my father's name or even worst; ARamos, Abdul Ramos or in a full line as Affinie Binti ARamos. THIS IS TOTALLY WRONG. My full name is Affinie Ariffin Ramos (or maybe I should say Affinie Alex Ramos since my dad's name on my birth certificate are not written as Ariffin but Alex T. Ramos).


My dad's name is Ariffin Ramos Abdullah (muslim name) and/or Alex T. Ramos. So, A stands for Ariffin and/or Alex.

I do think that people especially our cousins and relatives with surnames faced the same problem if they are in Malaysia but might not be a confusion for those who live in Philippines or countries which accept this 'surname' method.

This 'family name' or 'surname' matter doesn't cause any misunderstanding in countries such as Philippines, United State, Europe, China or I think almost everywhere (except Malaysia) because in Malaysia and/maybe Indonesia as well did not use 'family name' or 'surname' after their name but put their father's full name after their's.

My personal idea of this matter; having a father's name after our name will caused difficulties in tracing family tree. Imagine if we're (me and my siblings) use Ariffin after our names, we will never know our relatives outside there (since my dad's family are not locally from Malaysia). Thus, having Ramos as our surname really helps us to trace our family tree and now currently in a search of tracing our surname with this man. (I will try to blog the whole story of our research about this matter as soon I got the complete information).

Here I created a group for Ramos and Tipay (my dad's middle name) family to make us easier to trace each other. Try to create your own family group. For those who didn't use any surname, you might totally face the problem in tracing their names! Trust me.

Copied from my sister's statement; Ramos is actually our family's name since our dad is Illocano locally from Philippine. Our grandpa had migrate few decades ago to Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia since the colonial era of British (that time Sabah was known as North Borneo and Sandakan was the main city). Our dad and all his siblings born here and soon after the independence day of Borneo, our grandparents and all their children (including my dad) become a Malaysian citizen.

More info about Illocano here.

My dad convert to Islam before he met our mom and few years later, so born me with the name of Affinie A. Ramos.

So, any misunderstanding and questions regarding this confusion?

Latest photo of me and my dad.

Dare to add my dad's Facebook? He he he...







Click to join my contest!

10 comments:

.dida mumin♥ said...

dulu2 sy ada teacher from manila which we called her mrs.Ramos i dunno if u relates to her, one of her nephew named Eden Ramos..just in case you need to know....^^

Finie Ramos said...

DiDa, thanks for your comment. I'm not sure if we have aunt as a teacher in Malaysia except my grandmother (her last service was on 1988 at Sk Panagatan, Keningau) and yes, I have uncle (my dad's youngest brother) name Eden Ramos and we are currently in touch.

Do you have any idea of your Mrs. Ramos teacher? Maybe the person you mentioned is my grandmother but the problem is, Eden Ramos should be her son (if this Mrs. Ramos you knew is my grandmother).

Unknown said...

Now I know you're an Ilocano people ..hehe.This also happened to me. we all not using the name of our father, but family name to help us identify our other family.

As you can see in my Facebook, many Abdulaup right? It all is my family.The only way we interact with each family further away...

Finie Ramos said...

Oh...i thought 'Abdulaup' was ur dad's name..hehehe..sorry...

I think you should write an entry just like this to correct the misunderstanding.. ^_^

.dida mumin♥ said...

Omigosh!
Yes!!! Finie..she is that Mrs.Ramos..& correct! that was the name of the school.. i was only 6yrs that time, and the boys named Eden was at standard 5/6...really sorry about Eden i really don't know that he is the son of Mrs.Ramos..*blush*...i thought Mrs.Ramos is going back to manila after that...because I've been told that Mrs Ramos is came from there, do u have Mrs.Ramos pic? how was she?...u know what finie..Mrs.Ramos is the 1st English teacher come to our school, u know laa..kampung2 kan...

Finie Ramos said...

Read a surprising comment thread of 'jejak kasih' with DiDa here:

http://didamumin.blogspot.com/2011/06/am-i-still-being-read.html

ps: hope u don't mind, DiDa~ Thank u very much! This is wonderful!

Finie Ramos said...

I've left links about my grandma (Mrs. Ramos) in your blog, hope u enjoy it...

I know everything about her experience as a teacher even in Sk Panagatan as her last school for her service. This is totally adorable~

Wow~keciknya dunia ni~nasib baik sy tulis pasal ni kn~ ^_^

Alhamdulillah, Mrs. Ramos still kuat n sihat. I miss her so much and I believe you miss her too..enjoy visiting the links i've shared to you..


http://finieramos.blogspot.com/2010/04/day-17-happy-78th-birthday-lola.html

http://finieramos.blogspot.com/2010/04/day-19-im-so-excited.html

http://finieramos.blogspot.com/2010/04/sandakan-war-memorial-park.html

http://finieramos.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-lola-fly-back-to-phil.html

Unknown said...

wah.. interesting info ehh.. sy teruja kalau cerita pasal salasilah family.. :)

Finie Ramos said...

Sounds like I have to write a special entry about my family tree~ ^_^

Thanks nowriz..tp, family Ramos ni tersangat la besar..jd kna buat research yg panjang n lama dlu la..huhuh

Anonymous said...

I couldnt think you are more right!!